Search This Blog

Recipes

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Saying Goodbye

We had a memorial service for Grandpa George on Saturday. It was nice. Colin's Great Uncle Sandy shared some thoughts about Grandpa George and so did Uncle Dave. It was at the Episcopal church, so it was very different from what I'm used to. I would say it was probably a very traditional service. A lot of prayers and response reading and songs. I kept waiting for someone to get on the piano and start playing the songs that Grandpa loved, but it didn't happen.
There was communion in the service and that led to a little humor. Communion as in bread (communion wafers) and wine (not grape juice, like the Baptists). We went up because we wanted to honor Grandma Betty. So all three of us went up. Ian included. We knelt on cushions and they brought the wafers around. So far so good, even if they were flavorless. Then came the wine. I could smell it before it got to me and it smelled very vinegary, so I took the tiniest sip I could. I think Ian took a bigger sip than I did. After his sip he turned to look at me and whispered, "That wasn't very tasty!" I almost lost it laughing up there on the altar in front of everyone! We went back to our seats and sat down. Other people were taking communion, so we watched. Ian's cousin Luke, who is 3 months older than Ian and a picky eater took communion. After he tasted the wine he turned around to face everyone (he was going off the altar ) and made a horrible face and started wiping off his tongue! I laughed so much!
The service concluded shortly after that and we went to a reception at the church and then over to Grandma Betty's house.
By the time we got home, we were exhausted. Even though it was 6:00, I took a nap. It's not easy saying goodbye.

No comments: