Search This Blog

Recipes

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thanksgiving

I know, Thanksgiving is next week, but I've been thinking about Thanksgiving lately and I thought I'd share some of my memories.
Thanksgiving, for most of my childhood meant getting up early to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade while my mom cooked, driving across (or into, when we lived out in country) town to my Grandma's house. The day was typically crisp, cool, sunny with beautiful autumn leaves in the yard along the drive. I think one year there was snow, but for the most part, it was just a beautiful fall day.
We'd usually arrive at Grandma's around 1 or 1:30 in the afternoon. We'd already be hungry because our house smelled like pumpkin pies and stuffing as that's what my mom always brought. We'd all be snacking from the relish tray, avoiding the celery and trying to grab as many black olives as possible. We always ran out of black olives, for some reason we never had extra cans waiting to fill it back up.
Then we'd eat our Thanksgiving dinner. After dinner, the men would excuse themselves to go back to their football game on TV and the ladies would do the dishes. Only after the dishes were done did we get pie. Then we ate our pie and played Trivial Pursuit. That was my typical Thanksgiving.
One year we had my mom's side of the family over for Thanksgiving. I think it was one of those "we'll celebrate Thanksgiving on another day because that's when we can all come" things. I must have been somewhere around 15 or 16 at the most. We had a fabulous feast, nothing was missing and when we finished everyone was stuffed! My dad was watching TV with my uncle Steve and his twin boys who are 3 months younger than me. My dad likes to make jokes, so he said he had a good idea..."why don't we order some pizza?" What my dad didn't think about was that he was talking to teenage boys, you know the kind, their stomachs are never full. He ended up ordering pizza and they ate it! After having a huge Thanksgiving dinner!
That story makes me laugh every time I think about it. Just shows that sometimes, it's better to keep that funny thought to yourself!
So, those are my Thanksgiving memories, what are yours?

No comments: