Search This Blog

Recipes

Friday, February 11, 2011

Mac -N- Cheese Recipe

I know you've been anxiously waiting for this recipe, so I'm sharing it now.  Ladies and Gentlemen, without further ado, I give you Macaroni and Cheese (the gluten, dairy and soy free version).  We all really liked this recipe, although my son Ian told me it was "too creamy".  I'm not really sure there is such a thing as too creamy, but he seems to think there is.  He liked this better the next day as a warmed up leftover because the noodles had soaked up a lot of the sauce. 


This was my first time using Daiya cheese and I was pleasantly surprised.  Since it's dairy free, vegan, soy free etc. I had hopes for it since it had won some awards, but some doubts, too simply because of what it is.  Thankfully, I can say it's good.  Sort of tastes like a cross between Cheddar and American cheese.  The sauce was so yummy, I'm thinking it would be pretty easy to turn it into a Mexican cheese dip if you had the right seasonings!
I hope you like the pictures.  I wanted to make sure that you could see the cheese package (that always helps me when I'm looking for something in the store).  You can also see just how much onion I added.  I really like onion in it, gives it great flavor, but you can always use less or omit the onion depending on personal tastes.  Let me know what you think if you try this recipe.
Happy Eating!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey Deanne!

We are dairy and gluten free as well. I am excited to make this for John. I have a little guy that can't have rice so I will probably make 2 halves. One with regular pasta and one with rice pasta. Thanks for posting!

Kelly (from college)

DeAnn said...

Kelly-
I'm glad you can use the recipe. This is one my son really missed...now, he doesn't have to! I think there's quinoa pasta, you might try that if you don't want to cook two different kinds. :)
DeAnn

Kelly said...

John is severely intolerant of quinoa. It's ridiculous! I am used to making 2 of everything now. It is just what I hafta do. :) I read some of the blog, The Gluten Free Dish, from your favorite blogs list. Our story and hers are VERY similar! My DH has every ailment in her list except for the low platelets. John is starting some new things on his health journey and we are starting so see some improvement! We keep praying about it and searching out the way God made our bodies to heal and be filled with life giving fuel.
It was great to read someone who has shared my same story as far as cooking!
What made you all go gluten and dairy free?

Sorry I mispelled your name. :)