Search This Blog

Recipes

Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Evils of Corn Syrup

We are watching out for corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup around our house. I had read that it was an appetite stimulate and then my mom read that our brain doesn't recognize it as food and so our bodies don't process it like food, so we're gradually eliminating it from what we eat. Of course, Ian has noticed this and has made a few comments about it. Tonight he made a couple of comments that we thought were funny. The first comment was made at dinner as Colin and I were discussing that we hadn't been drinking much pop lately and that pop is full of corn syrup. I reminded Colin that the juice "sodas" found in the organic section don't have corn syrup and Ian immediately latched on to this idea and told us "Ah ha! You've solved the mystery of the pop!"
The second comment occurred when we were cleaning out the fridge tonight because it was too crowded. I was trying to decide what to keep and what to get rid of when I came to some Bacon/onion chip dip. I read on it and saw that it had corn syrup, so I decided to toss it. Ian made the horrible face and said "My favorite dip has high fruit corn syrup in it! BAH!"
He definitely notices what is going on around here!