Search This Blog

Recipes

Friday, April 4, 2008

Rain

I got up this morning and had to take the dog out immediately (as usual). When we stepped outside I realized it was raining. I'll let you in on a little secret, I like the rain.
Now before you get too excited over the idea that someone likes the rain, let me specify. I like gentle spring rain. I like the way the earth smells while the gentle rain falls. I like the sounds associated with it. Tires swishing on wet pavement, the gentle pitter patter as it falls, the sound of it falling on the neighbor's English Ivy. Did you realize that rain falling on Ivy sounds nothing like rain falling on grass? It sounds more like the rain falling on all the deciduous trees back home.
That's something else I like. The sight of deciduous trees turning their leaves upward to receive the rain. It's like they're raising their hands open to God to receive a blessing. I don't see that as often out here in the land of the evergreens.
I like spring rain. I think it brings a sense of cleansing. All the dust and dirt and pollen gets washed away for a while and life is renewed.

No comments: